In the food service sector, one mainly overlooked area is the high-rate of food wastage. Did you know that one-third of produced food worldwide is wasted? And one of the industries contributing to these is the food sector. Not only does food wastage cause irreparable damage to our environment, but it also affects the profits of business owners.
Recent research shows that the process involved in preparing meals in restaurants produces 45% of waste, customer leftovers amount to 34%, and spoilt meals total 21%. This article covers different ways we can lower food wastage.
Types Of Food Waste
1) Post-Consumer Waste: This waste is obtained from partly consumed meals, and it is by far the largest category of food waste. Research shows that most customers leave up to 18% of their meals uneaten, which becomes waste.
2) Pre-Consumer Waste: This type of waste includes all the food products your restaurant waste before it gets to your customers. For example, if your chef or new cook gets too enthusiastic when preparing a meal, it might get burnt. Now, that meal can no longer be served to your customers, making it a pre-consumer waste.
How To Lower Food Wastage
1) Give Your Ingredients A New Purpose: This is the fun and most creative part. Talk to your cooks and chefs to devise innovative ways to give an item a new purpose.
For example, your chef can turn a day-old bread into croutons the next day instead of throwing it out. Most customers believe in sustainability, so research different ways to repurpose your ingredients.
One great tip is running a food contest and offering the winner free meals on consecutive days while building brand loyalty. All your customers want is something that will delight them.
2) Practice Excellent Stock Control: Stock control is vital in minimizing food wastage and spoilage. All you have to do is label all your stored food with expiry dates or sell-by dates; ensure all your kitchen staff undergoes proper inventory techniques training.
3) Recycle: Cans, bottles, paper, containers, and cardboard are often recyclable materials in your trash can. Placing all these waste materials In the correct recycling bin will help you save more money and the environment from waste. Don’t forget to label all your recycled items, so it doesn’t get mixed up.
4) Predict Food Orders: Have a system where you can accurately predict all the food orders; you can do this manually or with the help of modern technology.
Doing this means accurate and better control of your kitchen orders, understanding meal order patterns, and more. Doing this will ultimately lower food wastage and save you more money.
Finally, you can choose to donate your food to different charity organizations and those struggling with food insecurity.
On A Final Note;
Cafe Chairs Sydney is a home of affordable furniture and chairs for your business place. Visit us now via our website to discover more of our unique furniture that will suit your interior designs.